Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home residents are often hesitant to report instances of abuse for a variety of reasons. Some do not speak up out of fear that the abuse may get worse. Others may not want to burden their families with their problems. Many residents do not report abuse because physical or mental limitations inhibit their ability to communicate.
As a result, it is crucial that you pay attention to warning signs that your loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect. If you suspect your loved one has been the victim of abuse, you should file a report with your local ombudsman and seek legal representation from an experienced nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer.
The following signs should be cause for concern:
- Unexplained bruises, cuts, burns, sprains, or fractures
- Poor hygiene
- Bed sores
- Frozen joints
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Unexplained venereal diseases or genital infections
- Vaginal or anal bleeding; torn, stained, or bloody clothing
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Refusal by the staff of visitation or delays in your ability to see your loved one
- Staff members denying your loved one’s right to be alone with visitors
- Resident being kept in an over-medicated state
- Loss of possessions
- Sudden large withdrawals from bank accounts or changes in banking practices
- Sudden loss of appetite
- Sudden changes in a will or other financial documents
The Phoenix nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers at Cullan & Cullan can help you receive the justice you deserve if your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse and neglect. We have seen the devastation caused by this abuse firsthand, and our lawyers are committed to helping you protect the rights of your loved one.
Our attorneys are also doctors. This gives us a more thorough understanding of the medical issues your loved one faces. We can evaluate medical records to prove that neglect is, in fact, taking place, and we can help ensure your loved one receives the proper treatment to recover from any injuries suffered as a result of this abuse.
If you suspect your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, please contact our Phoenix nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers today to schedule your initial consultation. Cullan & Cullan serves clients in Phoenix and all of Arizona.