Dehydration, Malnutrition and Nursing Home Abuse
It is an unfortunate fact that many nursing home residents suffer from malnutrition and dehydration. These harmful and potentially fatal conditions can occur for various reasons: malnutrition may result from dental problems or a resident’s inability to process food while dehydration can be caused by diarrhea and some medications.
The most devastating causes of malnutrition and dehydration are due to nursing home negligence, which may be the result of:
- Failure to properly supervise kitchen employees, who are responsible for providing nutritious meals
- Insufficient staff, which leads to employees’ inability to properly feed all residents
- Inadequate attention to residents who need assistance with eating
- Poorly educated employees who do not pay attention to proper nutrition and feeding methods
- Reliance on liquid supplements instead of ensuring that each resident eats enough food to obtains the necessary vitamins, minerals and caloric intake
If you see that your loved one exhibits signs of malnutrition or dehydration, immediately notify the nursing staff to reduce the risk of a potentially serious, life-threatening condition.
If you believe your loved one is suffering from malnutrition or dehydration in a nursing home or other care facility, please contact the experienced Arizona nursing home abuse attorneys at Cullan & Cullan, for a free case consultation.