Elder Abuse Awareness Day
June 15th is Elder Abuse Awareness Day. All across the world, individuals, organizations, and communities will engage in activities intended to raise awareness about elder abuse and neglect. This is an important issue which deserves much more attention than it receives.
Sadly, many elderly people receiving long term care in nursing home facilities are the victim of nursing home abuse and neglect. Due to understaffing, poor training practices, and inadequate screening of potential nursing home staff, many of our elderly loved ones do not receive the high quality treatment to which they are entitled. It is important to hold negligent nursing home facilities and staff members accountable for their abusive or neglectful treatment in order to prevent similar atrocities in the future.
The Phoenix nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers at Cullan & Cullan have witnessed the tragic consequences of elder abuse first-hand, and we have dedicated our practice to helping injured elders receive the compensation they deserve.
Our attorneys are both doctors and lawyers. We have a strong grasp of the complex federal and state regulations which protect the rights of the elderly, and our medical background provides us with a sophisticated understanding of the medical issues involved in nursing home abuse cases. If you suspect that your loved one has been the victim of elder abuse, our lawyers are here to help you fight for your loved one’s rights.
Cullan & Cullan is proud to support Elder Abuse Awareness Day, and we hope that you will participate as well. This is an extremely important cause, and spreading awareness about elder abuse is crucial to combating the problem. You can participate in Elder Abuse Awareness Day in one of the following ways:
- Develop an educational program.
- Volunteer to visit with an elderly person on a regular basis. Abuse is more likely to happen to elderly people who do not have routine visits from family and friends.
- Engage in an activity intended to increase awareness of elder abuse and neglect. If your community is sponsoring an Elder Abuse Awareness Day event, show your support by attending and encourage your friends and family to join you.
- Purple is the official color associated with elder abuse awareness. Wear purple on June 15th in recognition of Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
- Ask an elderly friend or relative to share their talents by teaching you or your children a new skill, such as how to bake a favorite recipe.
- Become a Long-Term Care Ombudsman Volunteer. In this role, you will be able to act as an advocate for nursing home residents, assisting them with complaints or issues they may have with the facility.
- Participate in a citizens’ group to advocate for residents of long term care.
With your help, we can make important strides in the fight against elder abuse and neglect.
If you suspect your loved one has been the victim of elder abuse or neglect, help protect his or her rights. Please contact our Phoenix nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers today at (602) 786-8860 to schedule your free initial consultation. Cullan & Cullan serves clients in the Phoenix metropolitan area including but not limited to Mesa, Tempe, Glendale, Scottsdale, Peoria, Buckeye, Surprise, and all of Arizona.